Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Wednesday is "two for" day at MetroSouth

Wednesday Reenie was scheduled to have a drain inserted into her abdomen, there was a pool of fluid found on a ct scan last week that needs to be eliminated. Thursday we had scheduled to have a port inserted into her right arm which will be used for the administration of chemo therapy instead of using Reenie's veins, which have deteriorated from her first bout with chemo. But today was Reenie's lucky day the fine staff and doctors at Metro (formerly St. Francis) hospital were able to juggle the schedule and perform both procedures in one visit. That made for a long day but having nothing scheduled until Monday she will get some much needed rest. Reenie has been in a hospital or doctors office or lab 8 out of last 13 days, she definitely needs a break. Reenie is experiencing headaches and fatigue so today was pretty draining, overall she has a wonderful spirit, and is enjoying the comments on 'her' new blog. I'm hopeful that all the appointments and lab work are behind her and for the most part she only has the treatments ahead of her. The treatment schedule will be 3 weeks of chemo(Abraxane)each Monday with a week off this will constitute a cycle and she needs to complete 6 cycles. Once a cycle is complete the oncologist will run tumor markers and a pet scan after every 3 cycles to judge how the treatment is working. The targeted drug Avastin will be administered every 21 days during the whole 6 cycles. This will be our schedule for the next 6 months, we know our warrior can handle this, she has done this before. Well we are looking forward to getting back to a somewhat normal schedule the next few days, thanks for all your love and support.
The Haas'

8 comments:

  1. Reenie...Debbie sends her love and we're thinking about you.

    Love,
    Debbie and Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs and prayers and get some rest. Again, thank you Tom for making this blog as we are thinking of Reen every minute of the day and praying for her.
    Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts and prayers are always with you, Reenie. Hang in there, and keep up the great attitude :) We love you!

    xoxo,
    Candi & Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're in our hearts and prayers.
    Thanks for the blog.
    Love,
    Leo & Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom, I KNOW that you will beat this again... We are all behind you, and in this with you... You have an overwhelming amount of people who love and care about you, as you know. Be strong and stay positive!! Love you!!!!!! --Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad, you did a really nice job with this blog. It is a nice way to keep everyone informed and I think people appreciate the updates, so keep them coming!! PS.. you're a better writer than you give yourself credit for! --Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reenie, I know you can beat this down again! My thoughts & prayers are with you. Keep positive! --Audrey Ernst (back from the Keller days)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi my friend, I am finally up and moving today after a very tough week but always thoughts and prayers for you every moment as I layed in bed waiting for our day to get together and watch a movie or just hang out together as we move forward to fight this horrible disease. As I wanted to give up this week, it was you who gave me the strength to move forward again. If you can tackle this beast once again how can I not!! So thank you for the gift of you in my life, you are an inspiration!! I love you my dear friend and as you always told me I am never more than a phone call away at any time. Miss our visits every week and I send lots of hugs and prayers. I promise to see you on my upswing. Love Debbie

    ReplyDelete