Thursday, December 29, 2011

An intravenous bolus with a piggy back for 2 please

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of our friends and family. As we enter the new year it is also the end of Reenie's first cycle with her new chemo drug Gemzar, we have no official results or findings yet but clinical exams have shown no progression so we are very hopeful that this is our magic bullet to finally rid her body of the monster. Reenie has tolerated this drug fairly well, we have missed a outing here and there because of fatigue, bone and back pain but we were able to enjoy the Christmas holiday with family and friends and look forward to bringing in the New Year as babysitters to our early Christmas presents Nathan and Koren. Our cancer ninja has now been in treatment for 26 months and her goal has not wavered she is determined to keep up the good fight and continue to be an inspiration to all that know of her battle.
Two weeks ago I took a blood test for insurance purposes at work, I received the results the next day and noticed there were a lot of red highlighted numbers (kinda like my grades in school RED marks...not good). I called my doctor to discuss the results and made an appointment the next day....well 3 blood tests and a bone marrow biopsy chaser and I have a Leukemia. The weird thing I really haven't flinched (maybe I should) I guess I immediately felt I can do this...I just hope I can do this with the grace that my wife does. I look at what she has been through, what she is going through ...I will be fine, with her as my inspiration and role model..I will be more than fine. The diagnosis I have is CML the best of all the "Ls" Chronic Myloid Leukemia, I will be able to take my chemo orally and expect little side effects, this is probably the most treatable leukemia, so as we look for the good news, treatable is our good news. With my issue being treatable and being hope full Renie's new drug is the answer we are looking forward to 2012. Love to all and a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR......the Haas'

4 comments:

  1. I heard the news from my mom last week. You are definitely in my prayers. If anyone needs help please let me know. I am around a lot during the day so please call if you need me!
    Eileen Maylone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Reenie & Tom,
    What can I say? I thank God when I hear of your strength and positive attitude. May 2012 bring you healing and happiness! (We'll miss you at M&M's) You are in our daily thoughts and prayers.
    Love,
    Jean & Leo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Tom, this has to be part of some sort of grand plan from the big guy upstairs. A test of strength? A test of love? Probably both. A calling we can't even begin to understand until the full story plays out? Your strength and support for Reenie and the kids is both inspiring and incredibly selfless. You talk about your personal situation as if you just found a pimple on your chin. You and Reenie mean the world to us, and Debbie and I are here for you both. We love you guys, and you, Reenie. and your family are in our thoughts and prayers every day.

    Love, Ron and Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, I concur with my Uncle Ron's comments above. You have both shown such strength and courage throughout all of the challenges that have come your way. I admire your attitude, and we are with you all through this. We pray for all of you everyday, and know that you will both beat this. We love you, and wish nothing but the best for you. I am honored to have known your family for over 24 years now.

    xoxo, Candi and Eric

    ReplyDelete